26.2.14

Guilt





If you're a Mom, you've probably felt it. If you're anyone, you've probably felt it. But for some reason for me, it's quadrupled since I became a Mom. GUILT. False or otherwise, it creeps up almost daily.

I feed my kids too many hot dogs. Guilt.

My oldest ignores adults that talk to him when we're out in public. Guilt.

I don't play with my boys enough. Guilt.

I don't sing with my kids enough. Guilt.

I don't pray for my kids enough. Guilt.

I haven't worked with Levi enough on his ABC's and some other kids his age are already writing and learning to read. Guilt.

By the time my husband comes home, I have no energy left to pour into him. Guilt.

I never send a birthday card out on time, if at all. Guilt.

And the list goes on...and on...and on. It's silly, really, when we choose to focus on all of the things we aren't doing, or aren't doing right. The truth is, I have to cut myself a break. We all do. Despite what Pinterest tells us, we CAN'T DO IT ALL. And when I think about it, I don't totally screw it up all the time.  I'm a pretty fun Mom. I do silly dances for my kids while they eat their lunch or take their bath. I tickle them and wrestle with them. I play Lego Minecraft  with my four year old and want to die of boredom, but I do it anyway. My kids are ALIVE and healthy. I manage to feed them three square meals a day, even if it is hotdogs a lot of the time. I tell them I love them 100 times a day and I give them more kisses than they care for. And most importantly, I tell them about Jesus and how much He loves them. I have to cut myself a break. We all do. Despite what you think, you're doing more good than you realize. You're in their lives, and you're trying. So take a deep breath, and let go of all that FALSE guilt.

 My friend Dani Byham wrote about this beautifully in her blog today, you guys should check it out: The Mom Season. She writes truth about Momhood, ya'll.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I just came over here to check out the new blog (finally), and what?! A shout out? Thank you!

    I'm so glad you recognize that guilt is no good and not helpful. Moms have to keep remembering all the good we do, instead of falling for the lie that it's not enough. Way to spread the word :-)

    ReplyDelete